Monday, July 02, 2007

Writing with wisdom.

I have been on such a roller coaster ride these past few months. My ninety-two year old mother passed away one week ago. I'd cared for her for the past three and a half months at her home in the Midwest.

I am only now beginning to be able to write about some of the experience. Caring for an elderly parent gave me the opportunity to develop a new perspective from which to appreciate many aspects of life. In order to be able to give my mother what she needed I had to achieve and maintain a sort of Zen calm, not necessarily a detachment, an acceptance of all things in the moment. The focused inattention to the moment necessary to think and write was in direct opposition to successfully attending to the most important task before me -- caring for my mother. So I did not think too deeply or write. That begins now. I was observing. I was focused. Only now will my thoughts come to the surface of consciousness so that I can process and arrange them in a way that makes sense to me. I am sure that these writings will relate to building peace. Perhaps not directly to war and peace, but definitely to how to build peace within one's self and in one's surroundings. And that is how world peace begins... in daily life and how we choose to live it.

While this has been a largely political blog there will be a shift to include personal perspective on a variety of issues. The personal is political.

No comments: